Monday, December 9, 2013

We try to great genuine moments of astonishment


Adrian Westaway/Vitamins Design

What is your job at Vitamins Design?

I am a founder of Vitamins and am director of Technology and Magic. We are a design and invention studio based in London.

Tell me something about your training and your influences.

My background is in Electronic Engineering but I have been performing magic since I was 11. I went on to study Industrial Design at the Royal College of Art, where I met Clara Gaggero and Duncan Fitzsimons, and we founded vitamins together, as a miulti-disciplinary design and invention studio. 


What are your guiding principles in your work?

In every project we undertake we strive to make our work Unexpected, elegant, deeply relevant and full of wonder. This means carefully balancing our different backgrounds in Magic, Technology, Engineering, Design and Fashion to create a fine balance of these principles.

What are your favorite artists?

Personally, I love Paul Harris, Derren Brown and Penn and Teller who are all magicians. I also love the work of Olafur Eliasson and Anish Kapoor,

How do you measure success in your work? 

We try to great genuine moments of astonishment, and constantly critique our work against the 4 principles we mentioned above. We try to create work that anyone will understand universally, not just highbrow design nerds!